My gang LOVE to eat. It’s no secret. I don’t mind cooking. so it’s a WIN WIN. EXCEPT when I slave away, cook for hours, and turn out a delicious meal, only to have four little noses turn up at it. UGH.
So – I try and keep meals super simple, HEALTHY, and creative. Not too much spice, but still with taste. Oh… most importantly, there needs to be enough to feed a small army, whilst relatively cheap.
Without further ado – I give you a super quick to whip up chicken and grilled corn with rice and beans meal! It went down a treat.
- 2 extra large well-fed chicken breasts (was definitely enough for us - with left-overs)
- smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- a whole cucumber
- 4 corn on the cob
- enough beans for your family (MUST have greens!)
- enough jasmine rice for your family
- greek yoghurt
- I whipped this up fairly quickly - within 30 minutes - in this order....
- Heat two grill pans (or frypans - whichever you have will be fine - I just like the grill marks on my chook!) on high.
- Small saucepan with water on to boil for beans.
- Put rice onto cook - once it is cooked - we will come back to it and spice it up a little.
- Spread some baking paper on a board, and 'butterfly' your chicken breast (this will help them cook quicker). Sprinkle over the smoked paprika, and season with salt and pepper. Add a good lug or two of olive oil, and rub it all together.
- Another lug of good olive oil onto the pan.
- Whack the butterflied chook into the pan, and cook.
- Don't forget to turn every now and then - keep an eye on it (turn the heat down to medium).
- Throw the cobs into the second grill pan - turn them often - don't let them brun (or your six year old will turn her button nose up at them)
- Prepare the beans, and blanch in boiling water. (plenty of time for this whilst corn and chook are cooking)
- MAKE SURE YOU ARE STILL TURNING YOUR CORN, AND CHECKING YOUR CHOOK!
- Chop the cucumber up and throw into a serving dish, reserving a couple of inches for the tzatiki.
- Finely chop the reserved cucumber, and mince the garlic. Add to a bowl full of greek yoghurt (I use around 1 cup - if there are leftovers, we use it the next day as a dip), and mix. Season with s&p if you desire.
- ARE YOU STILL TURNING THE CORN AND CHOOK?
- The rice should be cooked - time to spice it!
- Finely dice the onion, and add to a pan with a lug of oil and cumin. Saute until that delish cumin aroma permeates your nose!
- Add the rice, and stir until it is coated with the oinion and cumin mix.
- Pop it on a serving platter.
- The chook should be cooked now - make sure it is.
- Remove from heat, and slice accordingly - I serve it over the rice.
- Throw the charred and yummy corn on a platter, with a knob or two of butter on top.
- I throw everything on the bench with serving 'apparati', and let the tribe attack accordingly.
Get stuck into it – it’s a winner!
Please share some quick, simple and HEALTHY recipes that you LOVE!