EVERY. SINGLE. MORNING. the girls want breakfast. Truly.
Picture this. I am not out of bed yet, (note – it’s only 6:17am), and Mackenzie wonders in “Can I have breakfast now?”. Usually I tell her to go back to bed, read, wiggle under the covers, anything – just wait until at least 7am.
All of my girls are capable of whipping up their own breakfasts. Even Milla (just 5 – she has been capable since she was at least 3.5 – it’s a dog eat dog world, being the youngest of four girls!). The favourite breakfast (actually – I am not sure if it’s a favourite – but it IS the easiest), is wheat biscuits. Five of them for Mackenzie. Yes – we go through a LOT of wheat biscuits! Another firm favourite is rolled oats – the Murph loves them. Milla tends to go with ‘daddy? Madison-made’ scrambled eggs – but only ever eats half! Madison cooks eggs most mornings – we can easily go through 8 eggs before 8am!
I hear….. “Can we have something different for breakfast”, as we whip down the cereal aisle at lightning speed past the sugar-laden Frostyringthings and the like. “Sure I say – how about you add fruit to your cereal”. Then I hear a collective moan from them all!
I LOVE muesli. It must not be that horrid sugar-laden toasted stuff. In fact – I prefer to make my own up, with a mixture of oats, chia, quinoa flakes, seeds, nuts, berries, coconut flakes and a smidge of dried cranberries. Then I dollop a spoonful of natural yoghurt (or even coconut cream) on top, grated apple and mango if in season. Perfect. But tiresome.
Enter Sunsol’s new range of natural muesli.
Everything I like, packaged up into a convenient resealable pack. No mess. No fuss. It’s a win-win.
They have a fabulous range, perfect for the picky eater, chock full of natural ingredients in each blend. I like the NUT LOVERS and the ANCIENT GRAINS. Mackenzie is a fan of the APPLE AND BERRIES. Wilbur (yes – even a bloke eats muesli) likes a combination of SUPERFRUITS and ALMOND. Perfect nutrient-balanced start to the day – and excellent for filling seemingly ‘unfillable’ stomachs! Makes a delicious afternoon snack when sprinkled over natural yoghurt and scooped up with apple sticks!
There a six blends in the range, 3 Premium Plus (Ancient Grains & Superfoods, Fruit Lovers and Nut Lovers) – which you can purchase at Woolworths and independents. 3 Premium blends – Classic Fruit and Nut, Apple & Berries and Orchard Fruit and Almond (found in Coles)
Note – all of the blends DO contain nuts, which is delicious for the nut-lover, not so good for the nut-allergic!
Madison prefers her muesli as a bar. I don’t like buying muesli bars. Problem.
Enter the home-made muesli bar – requires TWO ingredients. Sunsol 10+ Natural Muesli and condensed milk. (yes yes – I know condensed milk is sugar laden….. blah blah blah – but in the minimal amount of sugar my family eats – I am OK with it!). I used to make these bars by mixing up my own ‘muesli’ with anything in the cupboard. Messy and time-consuming. I must say – any short-cut is a good short-cut!
I (or even the girls – its is a kid-friendly recipe!), whip these up – perfect for school lunches, pre / post-training snacks for my athlete, and even after school snack time when “I’m starving” is the catch-cry.
- 2-3 cups Sunsol 10+ Natural Muesli blend
- enough condensed ilk to make the mix ‘sticky’!
- (if you are feeling adventurous, throw in a handful of choc-chips!)
- [img src=”http://kylieclark.com/blog/wp-content/myimages/Mornington-Peninsula-photographer0041.jpg” width=”900″ height=”600″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”Mornington-Peninsula-photographer004″]
- Pre-heat oven to 150’C
- Add both Sunsol 10+ Natural Muesli and condensed milk to a large bowl
- [img src=”http://kylieclark.com/blog/wp-content/myimages/Mornington-Peninsula-photographer0051.jpg” width=”900″ height=”413″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”Mornington-Peninsula-photographer005″]
- Mix until sticky
- [img src=”http://kylieclark.com/blog/wp-content/myimages/Mornington-Peninsula-photographer0061.jpg” width=”900″ height=”298″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”Mornington-Peninsula-photographer006″]
- Press firmly into a lined slice tin
- [img src=”http://kylieclark.com/blog/wp-content/myimages/Mornington-Peninsula-photographer0072.jpg” width=”900″ height=”298″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”Mornington-Peninsula-photographer007″]
- Bang into oven, and bake until nicely brown!
- [img src=”http://kylieclark.com/blog/wp-content/myimages/002-storyboard.jpg” width=”900″ height=”600″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”002-storyboard”]
Whilst all of this is nice and fancy – I have a give-away for a reader.
- 4 x packets of Sunsol 10+ Natural Muesli blend
- a storage container and spoon
You need to be in it to win it – tell me your favourite Sunsol 10+ Natural Muesli blend and why!
(Check here for T&Cs!)